Chatham hosts annual, successful Spring Carnival

April is here, which means spring is near. It is uncertain which way the weather will turn, but what is certain is that Chatham’s Spring Carnival was a fun-filled time.

Spring Carnival is an annual event sponsored through the Office of Residence Life and Student Activities and led by the Chatham Activities Board (CAB). Spring Carnival was held on April 4–the Saturday of Easter weekend. The event began at 10:00 a.m. on the AFC patio and was open to those outside the Chatham community to help celebrate the coming of spring.

There were several booths at the carnival sponsored by student organizations. Some of the activities included face painting and handprints sponsored by the Black Student Union, a coloring station, balloon darts with Champions, Hop Scotch and Hula hooping with the Chatham Marketing Association, and corn hole with the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC). There was also a strolling magician, spint art, and a bounce house. There was even an Easter bunny to take photos with the children.

The refreshments reflected the carnival theme with popcorn, snow cones, hot dogs, jelly sandwiches, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

“Parents really appreciated us providing the [plain] jelly sandwiches since peanut allergies are so common. This may be a small detail but it is the little things that make an okay event a great one,” said Late Night event coordinator and project leader Allison Kline.

The biggest hit of the event was the crowd favorite—the Easter egg hunt. The egg hunt occurred throughout the course of the carnival and was broken into age groups starting with the three years olds and ending with college students. For the five to thirteen year olds, the eggs were filled with candy. However, for the college students the stakes were much higher as some the eggs contained gift cards.

The carnival concluded at 2 p.m. and was a fun time for families to spend to together.