Chatham University athletics welcomes fans back to sporting events

Haley Daugherty, Sports Section Editor

Get ready to pack the Cougar Den again. Spectators are now welcome into Chatham University’s sporting events.

As CDC restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic continue to relax, fans will be welcomed with open arms to see the Cougars take on their challengers in their upcoming seasons this academic year. Supporters will be required to wear a mask indoors. However, there will be no temperature checks or pre-registry required for entry.

“We are incredibly excited that we can get fans,” says Leonard Trevino, Chatham University’s athletic director. “You don’t realize how much something is of value to you until you lose it, and that was really obvious last year. Now we can welcome family and friends back.”

Vaccinated athletes will be required to wear masks while on the bench but will be allowed to compete without them. They will only be required to consistently test for COVID-19 if they are unvaccinated or symptomatic. Both indoor and outdoor players will have to wear a mask while in their locker rooms and travelling.

“Our students have done a great job with getting vaccinated. Our numbers of people that are vaccinated among students, staff and faculty are excellent,” Trevino says.

According to Chatham University’s official Twitter account, the University’s current community vaccine rate stands at about 88%. All of the current rules regarding sporting events are subject to change depending on how the pandemic evolves.

For updates on Chatham athletics, visit gochathamcougars.com.