Bailey Donofrio finds success on the field and as a graduate student at Chatham University

Bailey Donofrio runs with the ball. Chatham Athletics

Expected to complete her studies in 2025, graduate student Bailey Donofrio is earning her Masters of Science and Nursing Education degree at Chatham University. Working as a nurse specializing in oncology, Donofrio plans to continue her journey in cancer research.  

Four-time Presidents’ Athletic Conference (PAC) player to watch, Donofrio was named conference second-team on the Chatham women’s lacrosse team. Earning academic honor roll and graduating on the dean’s list, straight-A-student Donofrio balances her lacrosse agenda while working consecutive night shifts at UPMC Shadyside Hospital. 

Along with the accomplished nursing program and “beautiful” campus, her hometown of Pittsburgh was a large factor in her decision to attend Chatham.

Beginning her journey at Chatham in 2020, Donofrio’s first year with the Cougars was tainted by COVID-19 regulations. 

“Adjusting to Chatham was difficult for me,” Donofrio said. “But I liked that Chatham [Athletics] was in the Presidents’ Athletic Conference and I saw that the nursing program was really great.”

Determined to get her lacrosse season back, Donofrio continued her journey with the Cougars and earned the position as a leader on the lacrosse team.

“I know the master’s degree will let me leave bedside [nursing] and do other things in the world of nursing,” Donofrio said. “I hope to maybe educate other nurses or nursing students.”

As a veteran to the program, Donofrio manages her busy academic, athletic and work schedule with ease, thanks to a renewed lacrosse program at Chatham. She said with the support of head coach Morgan Comport and the rest of her staff she is able to play as a graduate student. Donofrio has also received help from Associate Director of Nursing Dr. Lora Walter.

“My coaches and my coworkers are very lenient with me and support me and Dr. Lora Walter helped me want to continue my education at Chatham,” Donofrio said.

Learning about research and evidence-based practices to determine policies and procedures in the master’s program at Chatham, Donofrio loves that she has the ability to apply the research she earns to solve her own clinical issues that she sees at work.

As the first person to graduate from the nursing program while being a member of the women’s lacrosse team at Chatham, Donofrio is humble in her many accomplishments at the University.

“Just do it,” Donofrio said. “It’s an easy transition into the program, and I think if you’re interested in doing sports or doing other things while attending Chatham grad school in my program, it’s very doable, and you can be very successful.”

As an oncology nurse, Donofrio oversees the care for all kinds of different patients at her job at UPMC Shadyside, including giving chemotherapy and medication, caring for trial patients and evaluating the effects of new drugs.

“I see all types of chemotherapy and radiation and I get to form really good relationships with patients,” Donofrio said. “I think it’s really important to get to know my patients and their families. I think this master’s degree can help me even educate patients and family members.”

With an objective of staying in the field of oncology, Donofrio plans to finish out her degree at Chatham and is thinking of earning her nurse practitioner degree in the future.

“I love my job. I love my patients, I love my coworkers, I love the field I’m in,” Donofrio said.