Chatham community adapts to new parking changes

Informational+post+regarding+parking+changes+at+a+Chatham+University+shuttle+stop+located+on+the+Shadyside+campus.+
Olivia Harris
Informational post regarding parking changes at a Chatham University shuttle stop located on the Shadyside campus.

In the first month since Chatham University made changes to parking at the Shadyside campus as part of the University’s ongoing reorganization, students, faculty and staff have reported mixed reactions to no longer having a valet service.

In an email to the Chatham community on Aug. 30, the University announced it would be removing the valet parking system starting on Sept. 18. 

Chatham informed students via email of new and alternative options with signs placed around campus, advertising parking at Chatham Eastside’s parking lot and using a school shuttle to get to the Shadyside campus. Chatham communicated its opening of new parking areas on campus to students, such as the lots behind Fickes Hall and Berry Hall partnered with parking along Chapel Hill. Although these solutions seem to address the lack of parking on campus after the removal of valet parking, students have expressed concerns regarding the new systems. 

Ciara Rivera ‘27 said that despite the addition of new parking areas at Chatham, she struggles to find parking on the Shadyside campus to the extent that she has drastically changed her morning routine.

Rivera, who lives 20 minutes away from the Shadyside campus, said, “I have to leave an hour before my classes start. That’s a really big inconvenience.”

Rivera owns a compact car that can utilize spaces specifically designed for smaller cars, which benefited her prior to the removal of valet parking. After the removal, she finds it harder to park in those spaces. She noted that she typically finds cars not meant for compact car parking spots, such as trucks and vans, parked there, a source of frustration for her. 

According to the 2021 Common Data Set released by Chatham, 46% of undergraduate students either live off-campus or commute.

Despite some of the initial growing pains, Chief of Police Donna Grossi believes students, faculty and staff have adjusted well.

“I haven’t heard any negative feedback yet, and parking spaces continue to be available in the lots near Rea Garage and Beatty [Hall] throughout the day. I think all parking areas on campus were previously underutilized and, overall, the campus has adjusted well to the change,” Grossi said.

The changes made were in response to the University-wide reorganization effort and saves Chatham around $85,000 – $100,000 a year according to Vice President of Marketing and Communications Bill Campbell.

“This initiative helps reduce costs while also increasing the number of spots available across campus through the opening of more spots on Shadyside and the Eastside lot,” Campbell said.

Zachary Aaron ‘26 shared his concerns with the potential use of the Chatham Eastside lot and shuttling to campus. Aaron expressed that he feels this lot is a good solution and seems to have plenty of parking, but he feels that the shuttles could be unreliable.

“I’m just stressed because like, if I forget something for class, my car is nowhere nearby,” he said.