Three Thanksgiving meal alternatives in Pittsburgh

Gobblerito from Mad Mex. Photo provided from Mad Mex on Facebook

Thanksgiving has some iconic dishes—green bean casserole, mashed potato cranberry sauce and warm apple pie just to name a few. Yet, it can get mundane, and you are looking for something new. Check out these three meal options that will excite your tastebuds and fill up your stomach this Thanksgiving meal for those still in Pittsburgh over break. 

• Gobblerito at Mad Mex (Multiple Locations)
    • Have you ever wondered what a Thanksgiving meal can taste like in a burrito? Well, the Gobbleriito at Mad Mex answers that questions. Turkey, mashed potatoes, black beans, stuffing and corn are packed in a tortilla that is topped off with warm gravy. Adding some sweetness to the savory meal is a side of cranberry sauce. It is available until Nov. 22, and costs $14. 
  • Apple Pie Pierogies at Scratch & Co. (Lowrie Street, Troy Hill)
    • Pierogies are a staple Pittsburgh dish, but they do not just have to be covered in butter and onions. Scratch & Co. offers apple pie pierogies that are filled with cinnamon, sugar and apples. It can be ordered online for $13 per jar. 
  • Thanksgiving Sandwich at Family Deli (South Park Road, Bethel Park)
    • It is super common to build a sandwich with your Thanksgiving leftovers. However, the sandwiches at Family Deli are out of this world. The “I’m All About the Baste” has maple-glazed turkey, homemade stuffing, cranberry sauce, Vermont white cheddar, brie spread and baby spinach on a French bun. It costs $15.95, and it is offered till Nov. 22.