Chatham University men’s and women’s basketball teams off to historic starts

Chatham Athletics
Ella McDermott ’26 shoots a 3-pointer.

Chatham University’s men’s and women’s basketball teams have both prospered during the 2023 season. With the women’s team holding a 7-2 overall record and a 6-1 record in the Presidents’ Athletic Conference (PAC), the men’s team is following their lead, with a 6-3 record overall and is 4-2 in PAC play.

The men’s team was placed to finish second in the PAC during a preseason poll after coming off a PAC championship last season.

Graduate student Elijah Sutton, Blaine Gartley ‘25 and Isaiah Smith ‘25 are some players to watch on the men’s team this year.

Sutton is leading the team in scoring, averaging 16.9 points per game and is also shooting above 50% from the field. Sutton spent his first year, the 2019-2020 season, at Chatham before transferring to Saint John’s University in Minnesota. There, he battled injuries and finally saw the court this past season where he only played in 11 games and averaged 3.9 points. Sutton has taken a massive step in his development since returning to Chatham this year.

Gartley has been a mainstay of the program since his first year. He leads the team on the court by averaging 33 minutes a night. He also holds the top spot on the team in assists while shooting a little over 50% from the field.

Smith is continuing his good play from last year by averaging 10 points per game and is tied for the team lead in 3-pointers.

The women’s team has seen success repeatedly against tough opponents, and Ashlie Louden ‘25 has picked up where she left off last year. She leads the team with 13.4 points per game and has 16 3-pointers. Louden continues to contribute numerous season highs against multiple opponents through the early course of this season.

“After a tough loss in the PAC championship last season, I was afraid some might come in hanging their heads. However, that was not the case at all,” Louden said. “From getting in the weight room to individual workouts and getting extra shots up, this team has and will continue to do everything that championship-level teams do.”

Aurielle Brunner ‘25 has elevated her game to another level this season. She leads the team in minutes, assists and steals. Her time spent on the track has been seen on the court as she continuously drives the floor with the ball for easy baskets.

In the 88-59 win against Bethany College on Nov. 29, the team scored a program-record shooting percentage of 60.7% from the field. Notable efforts were made by players such as Brunner with 18 points and Hannah Chenault ‘26 with 14 points.

The women’s team broke multiple records again on Dec. 6 against Thiel. The Cougars broke the program record with 116 points, a win margin of 74 and 47 field goals made.

Both teams are back in action against Westminster Dec. 9. The women tip off at noon and the men follow at 2 p.m. with both games being at the AFC.