Cougars conquer the cold

Navigating bad weather on Chatham University’s campuses
Leyna Laurent
The cougar statue outside of Café Rachel stands covered in a blanket of snow after a morning storm.

As the spring semester commences, one thing is inevitable: the apex of winter draws nearer. The change in seasons can often bring about unpredictable and challenging conditions, especially considering the already erratic Pittsburgh weather. Chatham’s Shadyside campus is renowned for its natural surroundings and outdoor amenities, but harsher weather can pose issues for students, both residential and commuters. Here is a guide to help you get through the inclement weather that often persists sporadically throughout the next few months:

Staying aware of email notifications from Chatham University Communications and Public Safety can inform you of any changes to campus operation levels.  Enabling notifications on the ChathamU app for updates is another way to stay updated. Your own judgment may also play a vital role when commuting to campus as commuters may face adverse road conditions. If this is the case, and the weather does not permit traveling, contact your professors about remote learning options until conditions improve. 

Finding a warm place to go in between classes can also be difficult, especially for commuters. Luckily, there are many student lounge areas throughout campus, many of which can be found within the academic buildings. If you’d prefer using this downtime to study or complete assignments, the Jennie King Mellon Library offers the option to reserve both group study rooms and individual study rooms.

There are also plenty of recreational options for students during winter weather. Sledding used to be commonplace on Chapel Hill before its ban last year. But if you’re still looking for options to fulfill your sledding desires, Mellon Park, Frick Park and Flagstaff Hill at Schenley Park are some potential solutions. 

If sledding is not quite what you’re looking for, the quad can be used for snowman (or snow-cougar) building. Of course, there is a plethora of indoor activities to choose from, such as watching movies, reading, engaging in art projects and so many other options to explore. The Carriage House provides an inviting setting for leisure and relaxation during any downtime. It offers a variety of amenities, including but not limited to board games, video games, a cozy fireplace and a TV equipped with surround sound. The lounge is accessible 24 hours a day with student ID. To enhance the enjoyment of your chosen activity, consider pairing it with a warm beverage. If making your own isn’t feasible and you prefer staying on campus, Café Rachel has an ever-changing seasonal menu with several options.

Even with the obstacles often posed by a typical Pittsburgh winter, embracing the array of both indoor and outdoor recreation avenues can allow you to make the most of the inclement weather. Regardless of how you choose to spend the snowier days of this semester, your safety takes precedence.