By the people, for the people: CSG weekly update

On Thursday, September 18, the Chatham Student Government (CSG) convened in the PCW room, off of Anderson Dining Hall, for their weekly meeting. At 11:30 a.m. Jenny Schollaert, Executive Vice President, called the meeting to order, after which Erin Smith, Vice President of Communications, took attendance.

Following the approval of the minutes, the CSG officers delivered the officer’s reports, beginning with Sarah Jugovic, Executive President of CSG.  Jugovic’s report covered the issues discussed at the recent Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAC) meeting, including access to food for athletes after their games. She also mentioned a meeting with a New York Times representative regarding integrating technology into CSG proceedings.

The report then moved to Schollaert, who discussed the Student Organization Forum (SOF) retreat, which occurred the previous Friday. Samantha Elbaz, Vice President of Finance, reported that the Undergraduate Budget Committee had a good turnout at their first meeting.  Elbaz also noted that there were two requests for funding and one appeal, and that they came in under budget. Officer’s reports closed with Smith, who had nothing to report in regards to Communications.

The next item on the agenda, class reports, had no significant updates aside from the need for another Class of 2016 representative.

The meeting then shifted to old business, which included a discussion of the Pennsylvania Center for Women and Politics (PCWP) and their efforts to raise awareness for turbo vote. In addition to the tabling that is already occurring, it was also mentioned that word of mouth is an excellent way to raise awareness.

In regards to internal affairs, the CSG spoke briefly about a possible amendment to their constitution revising their attendance policy to include late arrivals.

The final topic of discussion before the meeting closed was the possibility of adding a place on MyChatham for students to check the status of their meal plans, and their flex balance. As Alex Waasdorp, Class of 2018 President, noted, “We talk about being eco-friendly, but…the only way to check our meals is to print a receipt.” After some discussion it was determined that both Pattie Malloy, Head of Dining Services, and the IT department would need to be contacted in order to make any headway on this issue.

The CSG meets every Thursday in the PCW room, and all meetings are open to the student body.  Check MyChatham for times and any further information regarding these meetings.