Coach Profile: Kevin Wanichko

Coach Kevin Wanichko joined the Chatham community earlier this year as Head Cross Country Coach, as well as Chatham University’s Sports Information Director—a particularly integral role as the school transitions into a coed institution after a long history of being an all-female college.

During his high school years, Wanichko attended Southern Nash High School in Bailey, North Carolina. During his time at Southern Nash, he was a five-time All-State runner and won a state championship in the 2007 North Carolina indoor mile.

Wanichko_Kevin_cropped2

Wanichko graduated from Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, PA in 2012. During his time at Saint Vincent, he was a four-year member of the cross country and track teams, leading the Bearcats to back-to-back Presidents’ Athletic Conference Championships in cross country in 2010 and 2011.

Wanichko also received the honor of being a first-team all-PAC (Pennsylvania Athletic Conference) runner for all four of his years at Saint Vincent, receiving the league’s individual title during his 2011 season.

Wanichko also earned great praise for his time on the track team at Saint Vincent. He was a three-time Eastern College Athletic Conference medalist as well as a three-time PAC champion in track. He currently holds the school’s 5K record–a time of 14:51.

Coach Wanichko earned his undergraduate degree in Communications and earned a Masters of Science in Sports Medicine from California University of Pennsylvania in August 2014.

During his two years at California University, Wanichko served as an Assistant Coach to his alma mater, Saint Vincent, helping the Bearcats continue their cross country success, leading them to win two PAC titles.

Wanichko will not begin his role as Cross Country Coach until the season begins during the Spring semester. However, he has already begun his role as Sports Information Director through recruiting potential students to build the 2015 Men’s Cross Country team.

Wanichko is a member of College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA), an organization that began in 1952 and looks to recognize Division I, II, and III athletes in the NCAA.