Chatham celebrates LGBT history with campus-wide events

Though the chalk did not last long due to the rainstorm, the Chatham University This is Me! Queer-Straight Alliance kicked off a month-long series of events with Chalk the Quad. Students gathered at the quad on Wednesday, October 14, to draw different words and pictures conveying self-expression, respect, and flat-out fun.

The following evening, students poured into Rea Coffeehouse for the Coming Out Dialogues, where students listened to their peers tell stories of their emergence into the LGBTQ+ community. Due to the inclement weather, turnouts had been small, but those who participated had called it “a great experience” and “a good way to get to know each other.”

Comedienne Emma Willmann, an openly lesbian funnywoman who is known for her widespread sense of humor, also took the stage at Rea. This show provided a little break from the stresses of midterms to laugh a little and have fun with fellow classmates in a judgment-free environment.

October has been jam-packed with events for LGBTQ History Month. Next up on the docket is a screening of documentary “Celebrating Stonewall: The Stonewall Uprising,” in Eddy Theater on Monday, October 26, at 7 p.m.

The events on campus have provided an outlet to the queer community and acted as a catalyst for social change on campus. This month proved that Chatham, as a community, is trying its best to stay intact as an accepting community throughout all the previous changes added tension to the campus, and they met expectations as a social glue that made people bind together to support a similar cause.