Women's basketball team ready for a new season

The Basketball season has just begun, and both the men and women’s teams have been working hard preparing for the upcoming season. The women have been in the gym everyday, running sprints, doing drills and going over plays to prepare themselves for the long and grueling season ahead of them.

The team has had to overcome some adversity after the first two weeks of practice. Multiple injuries have plagued the team, including an injury to senior Rachel McClain. She overcame this injury and has been practicing hard with the team the last week.

“It’s been challenging, but I know the end result will be rewarding,” said first-year Natalie Knab.  

With the addition of five freshmen to the team, there have been some adjustments that the team’s had to face. They’ve had to learn how their teammates play and come together as a team. First-year teammates have also had to learn the new offense and the style of their new coach.

“I feel like the five freshman on the team, including myself, are very intelligent and have played the game for many years, and continue to grow as players, adjusting won’t be hard for us,” said first-year player Ashley McClain.  

Despite adversity, both Knab and McClain are optimistic for the season.

“We should always hope for a winning season so that is what we will strive for. I am very confident in the team,” said McClain.

The team has been working day in and day out, regardless of how many injuries they have endured.

“It’s hard to get into a groove with everyone on the team because teams are so selective based on who can do a drill,” she said. “Overall we are all playing well together and it’s exciting to see our overall improvement.”

The team’s first game will be against Allegheny College on November 17 at 5:30 p.m. Their talent will be tested, and they will have to fight hard in order to come out victorious. All signs point towards a fun and interesting year for the Chatham women’s basketball team.