Hidden gems: other locations to get your coffee fix

Photo: Shaina Little

The weather is getting colder, and the need for inside entertainment options is growing. There’s no need to worry though; among a vast array of cozy activities, Chatham is surrounded by a number of cafés and coffee houses that are sure to keep you warm and occupied this winter.

61C Cafe

Photo: Shaina Little
Photo: Shaina Little

The 61C Café on Murray Avenue in Squirrel Hill is a great option for anyone looking to warm up in a sophisticated setting. With glassware and real silverware, the atmosphere is serious but relaxing. Jazz music plays in the background as people rejoice in the delicious coffee, tea and smoothies they offer, but the real treasures in this café are the delectable desserts. With cakes on display in front of the counter, each dessert appears like a little slice of heaven. While the café is small, it has quaint feeling that makes the limited space cozy and relaxing. This is the perfect place to sit, relax, and get some reading done right down the street from Chatham’s campus.

Big Dog Coffee

Photo: Shaina Little
Photo: Shaina Little

Next on the list is Big Dog Coffee in South Side. The trip is a little further than Squirrel Hill but well worth it. The café offers coffee, tea and even an oatmeal bar for a relaxing morning. Big Dog’s has two rooms, making it larger than the 61C Cafe, and  it has a more relaxed tone. The atmosphere is still conducive for working, but also allows for hanging out in the café. The first room houses more relaxed style seating with living room chairs and tables, and the traditional restaurant style seating is in the back room. Playing mostly alternative 90’s music, the cafe’s target customer base appears to be college-age people. There is also a bulletin board where various local bands and plays are advertised. If you feel like you need something to do on the weekend, this bulletin board is a great place to start.

Biddle’s Escape

Last, but not least, one of the best cafés in Pittsburgh is Biddle’s Escape located in Regent Square. The atmosphere is unlike any other café with a bohemian, eclectic feel that is inviting and warm. Their menu is written in chalk, detailing the drink options. Biddle’s Escape also serves food such as bagels and sandwiches. There are also prepackaged, healthier options on the counter as well. The bohemian music creates a relaxed atmosphere where anyone can feel like they belong.

Events are constantly being held in the café and are listed on a chalkboard next to the drink options. The café holds events such as book signings and readings, writing workshops and much more. Just this past Wednesday, a group gathered around the African Masks and beaded jewelry along the walls to play “Magic the Gathering,” a trading card game. Biddle’s Escape appears to be just that: an escape. There’s something there for everyone to enjoy, and you can even meet new people. The café has signs anyone can pick up and put on their table that say things like: “I’m grumpy, come share a table with me.” With a sense of humor and fun, this café has a personality of all  it’s own. If a Saturday ever seems to be too bland and boring, check out one of these wonderfully fun cafes.