Chatham's QSA Shows "Paris Is Burning" for LGBTQIA+ History Month

By: Teri Bradford

Chatham’s Queer Straight Alliance (QSA) kicked off LGBTQIA+ History Month with a showing of the 1991 documentary Paris is Burning.
Directed by Jennie Livingston, Paris is Burning explores the lives of primarily Black and Hispanic drag queens and “house” culture in 1980’s New York City. Through fierce competitions known as “balls,” drag queens like Willi Ninja, Pepper LaBeija, Venus Extravaganza, and Dorian Corey provide a look into the struggles they face in their lives, and why balls are necessary for them. Paris is Burning touches on the reality transgender women, LGBT+ youth, and lower class individuals with humor and charisma.  
President of the QSA, Kylie Fletcher, introduced the film and touched on its importance. Afterwards, Fletcher introduced Lee Huttner, professor of Perspectives in Queer Theory, who led a follow up discussion with the audience. Asking questions such as “what surprised you?” and “what still feels relevant in todays culture?” sparked conversation about intersectionality, personal anecdotes, and what it means to have a family.
“I definitely think [Paris is Burning] is important, especially because trans exclusion [from the LGBTQ+ community] is real,” said senior Biology major, Odera Igwe. “When we talk about the LGBTQ+ community, we often shy away from trans issues because people are afraid to admit that they don’t know much about it. That’s where I think the documentary can help.”
Various educational events will take place this LGBTQIA+ History Month including the Diversity in Career Series Diversity Dialogue: Coming out in the Workplace on October 17 from 12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m. in the Carriage House, and Drag Queen Bingo on October 19 at 6:00 p.m. in the Carriage House. Chatham’s QSA is also a resource for Chatham community members who would like to know more about the LGBTQIA+ community, or who are members of the community themselves.