Women’s soccer continues to push forward into playoffs

Image by: Chatham Athletics

By: Jack Ridenour, Sports Editor

As the season winds down, the team continues to battle through injuries and league play into the playoffs. The team is currently the fourth seed in the league, and have one more game left before playoffs start next Tuesday. The Cougars recently faced St. Vincent College and Thiel College, both games resulting in victories.
The Cougars traveled to face the Bearcats of St. Vincent College. After a scoreless first half, the Cougars came out and scored the first goal of the game off of a header by Kyla Kelley ‘21. The Cougars dominated the match, as they outshot St. Vincent 17-6, and goal keeper Ashley Bergman ‘21 earned her 7th shutout of her young career.
The team then faced the Tomcats of Thiel College in a home matchup at Highmark Stadium. The Cougars controlled the first half of the game, scoring the first goal of the game in the 39th minute off of a shot from Genna Zeswitz ‘21. The Cougars came out in the second half with the same energy as the first. Kyla Kelley scored the final goal of the game, as the Cougars defeated the Tomcats 2-0. This was a special moment because this game was the Cougars senior night. They would recognize their two seniors, Morgan Stamm and Megan Sieg.
With playoffs around the corner, the team looks to continue this late season winning streak into next week. With their hard nose defense, and big time play from their bench, the Cougars look to make a deep run into the playoffs this year.