Women’s soccer dominates Thiel in conference matchup

Photo credit: Official Chatham cougar athletics website/ Jeanine Leech

By Jack Ridenour

The Cougars took on the Tomcats of Thiel College in a late-season conference matchup at Highmark Stadium. The Tomcats came into the game off of a win against St. Vincent in a 3–0 decision. With the playoffs nearing, the team needed a conference win to make a late-season push for the playoffs.

The Cougars dominated the entire game, controlling both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. Forward Megan Sieg ‘19 scored the first goal of the game 19 seconds into the contest, followed by a second goal later in the first. Center back Katie Sieg ‘19 and forwards Genna Zeswitz ‘21 and Morgan Bryant ‘20 added a goal each before the end of the half.

“We have to win all of our games to make playoffs and I think that fire to win has been helping us to score,” Sieg said. The Cougars have scored a combined 10 goals in their last two games, while not allowing a goal in either match.

Heading into the second half with a commanding 5–0 lead, the Cougars continued to outplay the Tomcats. Their aggression on offense continued, with Darby Robinson ‘21 adding two more goals to make the score 7–0. Goalie Ashley Bergman ‘21 extended her shutout streak to two games — her fifth of the year.

With one regular season game remaining, the Cougars find themselves in a must-win situation. They have a 3–3 conference record and are in the fourth and final playoff spot.

“We have one more game against Geneva and we have to win to make playoffs. If we lose, then we are out. So it’s a big game,” Sieg said.

The team is riding a two-game win streak into their final game of the regular season. Between their strong play and mentality, the Cougars are in a good position to lock up the final playoff spot.