Warming Pittsburgh Together: Honors Living Learning Community holds winter clothing drive

By Jennie Piotrzkowski

This winter was another example of how chilling temperatures can take over Pittsburgh. Students in Chatham University’s Honors Living Learning Community recognize that not everyone is able to afford or have access to the proper clothing to face these tough months.

Therefore, they decided to do something about it.

The Honors Living Learning Community (LLC) is holding a clothing drive as its spring service project. Clothing is being collected from students, faculty and staff that will be donated to the Free Store Wilkinsburg.

“Free Store Wilkinsburg’s mission is to redistribute new and lightly used goods at no cost to community members to bridge times of financial stress and emergency,” according to the store’s website.

Boxes are being placed around campus so people can easily drop off donations. These locations include the Carriage House, Jennie King Mellon Library and the upper and lower levels of Anderson Dining Hall.

Rachel Wakeman ‘22, an LLC member and part of the women’s cross-country team, has been part of previous projects with the LLC. In the fall, the women’s LLC held a book drive, which the group considered to be a success. That’s what inspired LLC to move forward with the clothing drive.

Beyond helping other, the goal of these service projects is to bring group members and the University together.

“This project is more than just the musings of a small LLC,” she said. “It involves people all over Chatham campus and in our local community. Hopefully, this is just one of many steps Chatham students will take in coming together for the betterment of our Pittsburgh community.”

There’s still time to get involved. Donations will be accepted through the end of the semester this month.