People pack chapel for Maggie Haberman lecture on Trump and the press

By Abbey Sullivan

Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Maggie Haberman spoke at Chatham University on April 3 in the Campbell Memorial Chapel. She was here as the Pennsylvania Center for Women & Politics’ 2018–19 Elsie Hillman Chair in Politics. Haberman, who’s a White House correspondent for The New York Times and a CNN political analyst, has been repeatedly noted for her in-depth coverage of President Donald Trump and his administration.

Haberman took extra care to define the relationship Trump established with the press in her lecture entitled “The President and the Press: What a Long, Complicated Relationship it’s Been.”.

“Donald Trump’s relationship with the press is notoriously elastic,” she said, a reference to his frequent comments about reporters, media agencies and even the American people via news outlets and social media. However, she holds faith in our constitutionally protected free press and strives to handle Trump’s tactics with professionalism.

Haberman answers audience questions post lecture. Photo credit: Phil Pavely

She also shared principles she holds dear to her heart in regards to her journalistic practice — tidbits she’s learned during her 23 years of experience.

“If you believe something is happening and are told it isn’t, [follow] that thread and see if it goes anywhere,” she said. “Do not get lost in other people’s noise.”

The lecture attracted a large turnout; Campbell Memorial Chapel’s seating was filled. Attendees were asked to write questions on pieces of paper, which then had the chance to be answered by Haberman following her approximately 40-minute speech.

In response to various inquiries, Haberman stated that she wishes there were more news stories in circulation detailing climate change, the state of education in the United States and how Trump’s trade policies are affecting everyday Americans. She also said that she thinks news organizations have been slow to adapt to the growing landscape of social media.

Students at the reception with Maggie Haberman in the Buhl Lobby. Photo credit: Phil Pavely

The chance to hear a first-hand account of a journalist’s life in this day and age is a fortunate one. Haberman provided poignant insights into the inner workings of Trump’s White House, the intricacies of the news business and strategies for remaining vigilant inside the current political climate.