Chatham, other Pittsburgh groups to host Black History Month events

Carter G. Woodson, a civil rights advocate, proposed in 1926 a week to celebrate Black history. It’s since evolved into what it is today: a federally recognized month-long celebration and acknowledgment of Black history.

+Photo+credit%3A+Unsplashed.com%0A

Photo credit: Unsplashed.com

Abigail Hakas

February has begun, which means it is officially Black History Month.

Carter G. Woodson, a civil rights advocate, proposed in 1926 a week to celebrate Black history. It’s since evolved into what it is today: a federally recognized month-long celebration and acknowledgment of Black history. Every year, a theme is chosen as the central cause for Black History Month by the Association for the Study of African American Life and History. This year’s theme is Black health and wellness.

Events at Chatham

Chatham University has many events happening throughout February for students to join. Jennie King Mellon Library is holding a Black History Month library display from Feb. 1-14, with a virtual display going from Feb. 1-28.

If you prefer movies to reading, Chatham is holding a Just Films screening in the month of February. “Unapologetic” will be shown on Feb. 9, 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Coolidge 134, and focuses on the activism of two Black millennials in the face of police brutality.

For those who would like to be more directly engaged in conversations about race for Black History Month, consider attending Chatham’s Courageous Conversations event about race on campus. This event is intended for all students who would like to educate themselves or learn more to share with others.

Things to do off campus

Pittsburgh as a greater community also has a plethora of events to attend, if a student wants to see what the city has to offer. The Carnegie Museum of Art in Oakland is showcasing the work of Charles “Teenie” Harris, the late photographer for the Pittsburgh Courier. Harris documented the lives of African Americans in Pittsburgh from 1935-1975. His photography is also available on the Carnegie Museum of Art’s website for digital viewing.

The August Wilson African American Cultural Center is a fantastic place to visit if you are interested in contemporary Black art and culture. A new gallery of works by Cue Perry will be opening on Feb. 11 and run until March 20. The opening reception will take place on Feb. 12 and will feature remarks by Perry on his work. (Note:

As of Feb. 1, all visitors are required to show proof of vaccination along with their tickets.)

The Heinz History Center is currently holding an exhibit titled “From Slavery to Freedom” that explores more than 250 years of Black history in America. The exhibit features artifacts from Africa, hardware from the slave trade, life-like statues of prominent Black figures and interactive touchscreen displays of Pittsburgh safehouses along the Underground Railroad. Tickets are sold for a reduced price if you purchase the student tickets and show your Chatham ID.

Other ways to observe Black History Month

If students are not interested in attending an event, there are still many ways to stay educated and engaged with Black history during February. Consider how your major ties into Black History Month. If you are an English major, read writing done by Black authors. If you are a pre-med student, inform yourself of the obstacles the Black community faces in receiving affordable and equitable care. If you are a visual arts major, study and appreciate the vast collection of visual arts by Black artists.