CSG Brief: Sept. 14 – 28

Emily Brooks

Sept. 14 CSG Meeting:

• On Sept. 14, the Class 2027 members were introduced to Chatham Student Govenrment (CSG).
    • President: Dominic Randall
    • Vice President: Olivia Harris
    • Secretary: LJ Varley
    • Treasurer: Nathaniel Martenilli 
    • Class Representatives: Connor Domke and Carolina Northridge
  • Unfinished Business:
    • Legislative action: CSG members approved the Omnibus Bylaws Amendment Act of 2023. First, it modified the legislation that CSG uses for its procedures into proclamations, resolutions, bills, special legislation and measures. Second, it created one universal timetable to improve legislation procedures. Third, it added three titles: Title 6 – Committees, Title 7 – Grievance and Discipline Procedures, and Title 8- Impeachment. Fourth, it added another Title for miscellaneous provisions. Finally, it imposed a time limit for guest speakers to 30 minutes with the max being 45. The time limit is meant to ensure that items are not rushed or pushed back to the next meeting.  
  • Executive Board Reports:
    • Executive President: Jackson Adkins ’25 announced that his first meeting with University President, Dr. Rhonda Phillips, will occur on Sept. 29. He is currently setting up when Dr. Phillips can meet with CSG. 
    • Vice President for Communications: Jada Jenkins ’26 shared information about starting this semester’s office hours. A sign-in sheet and QR codes are being made. Jenkins also shared that Madison Krob, the executive assistant to the dean, allowed them to use the CSG banner for a designated table in the Carriage House. 
  • Open Forum: 
    • Miscommunication at Parkhurst: Class 2026 President, Morgan Rapsky, noted that the signs in Anderson Dining Hall are mislabeled. Small meat is recyclable at Parkhurst, but the signs state that they are not recyclable. Members motioned for Jenkins to contact Parkhurst about this issue. 
    • Replacement of emergency lights buttons: Class 2025 Vice President, Madison Smith, shared that the emergency lights and buttons were removed. They were replaced with QR codes that can contact public safety. Smith noted the safety concerns of the QR codes. For example, if students do not have phone service, a phone, it is too dark to scan the QR code or it takes too long to scan. Class 2024 Representative, Melissa Redding, noted that the blue light system is nationally recognized as safe. Members motioned for Jenkins to contact facilities about these concerns of the replacements. 
    • Wellness fair: Rapsky, suggested to members about hosting a wellness fair this year. Rapsky stated that it would be a good idea because it can circulate information and resources that students may have been unaware of or forgotten since orientation. The Vice President of Student Affairs and the Dean of Students, Chris Purcell, mentioned that Chatham received a large mental health grant. Also, he suggested that members work with Dr. Patty Poloka since she is responsible for ensuring the standards of mental wellness are fulfilled on campus. Purcell emphasized that if they want to pursue this idea, then they must work strategically as a whole group. Adkins emphasized a collaborative approach because it can allow more time for CSG members to accomplish other issues or class projects. Executive Vice President, Aidan Bobik ’25, suggested the creation of an ad-hoc committee, so there is a group of people focused on completing this event. Class 2024 Treasurer, Ashbey Kirkpatrick, cautioned members about the recent budget cuts when creating this event. 

If students are interested in getting involved with CSG, they can attend an in-person meeting in the Conover Room in the Mellon Center from 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.. Students can also visit the CSG website to learn more about the organization.

Sept. 28

• Election of Internal Senate Officers 
    • Internal Senate general information: The members of CSG approved several members to the Internal Senate. The Internal Senate fulfills a variety of functions for the student government with the most important being the committee chairs and the parliamentarian. CSG will be nominating the parliamentarian next week. The parliamentarian will serve as an advisor for CSG members if they have questions.  
    • Clerk of the Student Senate: CSG members approved Jenkins as clerk of the student senate. The clerk’s role is to help with procedural duties surrounding the handling of legislation. The position is usually held by the vice president and can be seen as their duty within the larger Senate. 
    • Accountant of the Student Senate: CSG members also approved the vice president of student finances Gabrielle Slovikosky ‘26, to the position of accountant of the student senate. The position of the accountant primarily serves to keep record of the funds available to the Senate and acts almost as the Senate’s extension of the duties of the vice president’s position. 
    • Committee chairs: Harris was nominated as the chair of the food committee. Redding was nominated as the chair of the safety committee and Domke was nominated as the chair of the academic advocacy committee.  
  • Mental Health Ad Hoc Committee 
    • Rapsky, Slovikosky, Class of 2026 Treasurer Christopher Szarka, Redding, Class of 2025 Treasurer Atticus Danielson and Class of 2026 Secretary Jonah Schiffgens-Smith proposed an ad hoc mental health committee to promote mental, emotional and psychological wellbeing on campus. At the recommendation of Adkins, the measure was amended to include the specific objectives of hosting a wellness fair, collaborating with the Counseling Center and establishing and improving sensory spaces on campus. The measure went to a vote and was adopted by CSG. The heads of the committee will be appointed next week. 
  • Executive Board Reports:
    • Executive vice president: Bobik noted that members must soon nominate a parliamentarian, who acts as a resource for officers when they have questions. Also, he shared that the executive board is drafting a new office hours document that aims to increase opportunities with the campus community. 
    • Vice president of communications: Jenkins shared her discussion with public safety regarding the blue lights in Linzer and Pelletreau Apartments being removed. Purcell provided his knowledge as well. The plan to remove the blue lights and implement them with QR signs was created a year ago, and it was necessary since there was an electricity reach that Chatham could no longer pay for those lights. Jenkins also shared that she talked with Parkhurst members to change the food waste sign. 
    • Vice president of finance: Sloviskosky shared that Rapsky was nominated to the position of the vice chair of the undergraduate budget committee (UBC), and Martinelli was nominated to the position of the secretary of the undergraduate budget committee. The vice chair of UBC is responsible for informing students of their budget requests and providing a rationale for the decision to approve or not approve the request. The secretary of UBC is responsible for taking the minutes of the discussion concerning the budget request and will send out the information to the rest of UBC to remain updated.  
  • Open Forum: 
    • Blue light issue: Class 2025 President Maggie Vargo asked Purcell if two more blue lights replace the removed ones to get better safety coverage. Purcell and Bobik suggested that the question be referred to the safety committee to contact Public Safety. 
    • Pool scheduling issue: Jenkins shared that there are issues with the pool schedule. She said that students are coming in when the pool should be open, but they find that it is not open. Varley motioned for the Jenkins to reach out to the Athletic and Fitness Center to figure out the problem.
    • Early syllabi release: Rapsky asked if syllabi could be released prior to class registration for students to have prepare for the class. CSG members motioned to refer it to the Academic Advocacy Committee.