Hidden gems of Lawrenceville

Sarah Naccarato
A glimpse inside of the Wildcard store in Lawrenceville.

A little over two miles from Chatham University’s Shadyside campus lies a treasure trove of gems for the local foodie, shopping addict and hobbyist. A central avenue of the district, Butler St. is home to many of the best places that Lawrenceville has to offer. 

The bowling alley on Butler St. hosts the Pittsburgh Sports League’s Bowling Playoffs. With over twenty lanes open seven days a week and a nightclub atmosphere, Arsenal Bowl is the perfect spot for a night of food, fun and friendly competition in style. Arsenal charges $153 a lane to reserve a lane for two hours. They also offer select specials and themed nights including a $12 all-you-can-bowl College Night and 80s/90s Night with a DJ. Both are for those 21 and over. Bowlers must present a valid ID at the door. 

If bowling isn’t up your alley, there are plenty of places for a casual shopper. Wild Card, across the street from Arsenal Bowl, provides shoppers with an array of Pittsburgh and pop-culture-themed items. Wild Card is the perfect place to shop for dorm and apartment decor. Featuring posters, plates, stickers, magnets and more, Wild Card can turn any space into a pop culture masterpiece. For committed Pittsburgh lovers, the shop sells Pittsburgh-themed cookbooks, tote bags and t-shirts. 

Not far from Wild Card, Rosie’s Workshop prides itself in its repurposing abilities. Here, you’ll find lights of every kind. From saxophone, clarinet, and flute lamps to classic cameras with built-in bulbs, Rosie’s Workshop illuminates any space with style. To brighten up your space even more, Rosie’s Workshop sells brightly colored retro mugs, vases and candles.

If upcycling and reusing is your style, consider one of Lawrenceville’s thrifts. Located on 52nd St., a few minutes away from Butler St. by car, the Lawrenceville Goodwill resells a variety of unique clothes, home decor and other odds and ends. If you prefer a more curated resale shop, Thriftique will give you everything you could want and more. This shop, located at 125 51st St., has designer clothes and fashionable home goods at affordable prices. All sales go to support the Pittsburgh section of the National Council of Jewish Women.

After all that shopping and bowling, it will be time to stop for a tasty meal. Lawrenceville is home to a variety of restaurants and eateries for every craving. For breakfast, two popular spots are The Nook and Geppetto Café. The Nook offers both sweet and savory options such as Nutella pancakes and eggs benedict style stuffed waffles. The Nook also serves a wide selection of salads, burgers, and other meat-based sandwiches. Geppetto Café varies from The Nook in its heavier focus on waffles, crepes and paninis. With a build-your-own option for crepes and waffles, Geppetto Café offers a more customizable experience. The interior of Geppetto Café is classic, small-scale diner themed. When sitting inside, it’s impossible to find an inch of free space on the walls and ceiling, which provides a different experience from The Nook’s modern interior. 

The adventure continues to Mix Candle Co., which sells a product and an experience. Shoppers can choose to purchase from a wide range of candle collections. If you’re feeling the spirit of Rachel Carson, the collection ‘Find me in the garden’ might fill your scent needs. With a busy bee, garden salsa and green thumb candle, this collection inspires the arboretum atmosphere of the Shadyside campus. 

For more of an experience, Mix Candle Co. provides a candle-making workshop with a price range from 21 to 40 dollars and a buy three, get one free sale, ideal for a friend group or the creation of a personal collection. The scents are not the only customizable aspect since Mix Candle Co. also allows its makers to draw their own labels. Candles take two hours to cool, but the shop holds onto candles for up to six months after their initial creation.  

When looking for lunch and dinner options, look no further than the plethora of pizza options housed in Lawrenceville. If you are more in the mood for a flatbread, consider trying V3 Pizza. A fresh fast-casual restaurant, V3 serves a range of $10 pizzas and salads. If you do not see anything that particularly piques your interest, V3 also has the option to create your own. The choices abound, and with a cooking time of only 180 seconds, your food will be out in no time. 

If you are looking for more, stop by Piccolo Forno. If you are looking for a more traditional, more expensive experience, stop by Piccolo Forno. A Tuscan restaurant, Piccolo Forno has woodfired pizza and handmade pastries. The menu also features pastas and salads, all rooted in years of Italian tradition. 

To end your day with a sweet treat, head to Millie’s for scratch-made, premium ice cream. Though their flavors change with the seasons, their selection is large. They even consider dietary restrictions, serving vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free options. Right now, the Lawrenceville location is featuring pumpkin pie, caramel apple dumpling and pumpkin roll flavors to celebrate the season. 

These suggestions are just a few of the hidden gems that Lawrenceville has to offer. Chatham students can catch the 64 inbound to Lawrenceville bus at the corner of Fifth Ave. and Maryland Ave. The bus will drop you just a few blocks from the liveliest section of Butler St. where many of these hidden gems thrive.