Exploring Chatham University below the surface

Leyna Laurent
Sam Caloiero ‘26 uses a VR headset in the IMM space.

What often escapes the average gaze is the existence of valuable resources and distinctive spots that may be right in front of you — or beneath you. The Shadyside campus at Chatham University is recognized for its historic architecture and distinctive features that set it apart from other universities, but it also possesses numerous assets that are just underneath the surface. These are some facilities and hidden treasures, all situated within the basements of buildings across Chatham’s Shadyside campus.

The Rea Coffeehouse is one such treasure, acting as a creative space for various University events. Located in the basement of Rea House, the Coffeehouse hosts concerts and collaborative performances. Event details can be found on its Instagram page (@Chathamcoffeehousecommittee). 

ODEI’s Little Free Library in Anderson Dining Hall. (Leyna Laurent)

The Jennie King Mellon Library houses a wide array of research tools, but some may be unfamiliar with the immersive media room in its basement. This vibrant and dynamic spot, located across the hall from the group study area, features a variety of interesting decor such as radiant artwork, furniture and displays of technology. This space is a classroom where immersive media students develop and showcase their projects. Be sure to locate an immersive media student or professor for more questions in regard to their hours of operations as well as any future showcases that may be open to the public. For questions or additional information regarding the immersive media program, direct your inquiries to [email protected].

Located down the steps and next to the Post Office in Anderson Dining Hall, Little Free Library is a nonprofit organization that acts to promote community through its “take a book, share a book” exchanges. In accordance with Black History Month, the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion is placing a special emphasis on showcasing a curated selection of books that are authored by and focus on the lives, achievements and contributions of Black visionaries. These readings include comic books, autobiographies and poetry.

Nestled between the two squash courts in the Athletic and Fitness Center, the room housing the rock climbing wall is one perk that can be easily missed. With the entrance to the facility accessible on the bottom floor opposite the swimming pool, the rock climbing wall allows students of all skill levels to explore, with assistance, the wall’s five routes, catering to skill levels ranging from beginner to expert. The rock climbing wall is accessible from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. every day besides Tuesdays and Sundays. Visit gochathamcougars.com for scheduling information.