Chatham’s Beyond The Page Book Club hosts third annual Book Brunch

On Sunday March 29, Chatham’s Beyond The Page Book Club discussed the stories that have captivated them. Over orange juice, tea, and pastries Chatham’s book club came together to have its third annual Book Brunch. The theme of the brunch held in the intimate setting of the Mellon Solarium was Harper Lee’s timeless classic “To Kill A Mockingbird.”

Although a relatively young organization, the Beyond the Page Book Club is fairly active on campus. With a self proclaimed mission to “include any individual interested in expanding their love and knowledge of literature,” as well as, “foster an appreciation of literature and the arts through discussion and awareness of issues pertaining to the world of books,” Beyond the Page Book Club is making a name for itself. From collaborations with the Creative Writing Club to literary-themed mocktails on Halloween to celebrating banned books week, the organization has a lot to offer for students who love reading and writing.

Very democratic in its nature, the theme of the brunch was selected by club members in an online poll. It was an appropriate choice seeing as the novel, more than fifty years after its publication, will be getting a sequel this summer titled “Go Set A Watchman.”

Beyond the Page is not what one might imagine a traditional book club to be. Books are not typically assigned and every genre under the sun is discussed. What happens at a book brunch, besides brunch one might wonder? A social-justice-oriented discussion of books the attendees have read.

From discussing the rights of clones in science fiction novels to the recurring themes of incest and abuse in Toni Morrison’s writings, Beyond the Page members dig deep in true Chatham style. Problematic themes and clever metaphors for real world issues in classic and contemporary writings were tackled as well as less serious stories. Although, as college students, the current co-chairs–juniors Rachael Owen and Brittanie Terensky-Rees–admit that due to their course loads they do not always have as much time for recreational reading as they would like, but that does not lessen their passion for stories for people, young and old. In fact one of the many topics discussed was Terensky-Rees’ own tutorial, dedicated to analyzing the way that minorities were represented in the Harry Potter series.

William Nicholson once said, “We read to know we’re not alone.” For those interested in coming together with others who have found solace in books, the brunch would have been very much enjoyed. For book lovers interested in connecting with others on campus, the club will have another event in honor of National Poetry Month: a screening of the Robin Williams’ film “Dead Poets Society.”  For further information contact Rachael Owen and or Brittanie Terensky-Rees.