Chatham Volleyball Go 0-2 at Home

By: Derek Schrank

The Chatham Cougars hosted Washington & Jefferson, and Thomas Moore the weekend of September 30th and October 1st. The weekend ended with the cougars winning zero of six sets against their opponents. They ultimately left the weekend 2-8 in the PAC.
Washington & Jefferson took the match on September 30th three sets to none against the Cougars. The first half of the match went back and forth until W&J went on an 11-3 run taking a commanding 19-11 lead. The cougars found a way to put up some more points after that but W&J already had enough points to close out the Cougars and win the first set 25-18.
Throughout the second set, both teams’ offense took control. W&J took a big 20-14 lead, but Chatham fired back with their own run and brought the set to 24-23 in their favor. W&J then rallied with three consecutive points to take a two-point victory at 26-24.
The Cougars dug themselves a hole, getting down early two sets to none but they gave a good battle throughout the match. Mckenzie Bates ‘20 led the way with 29 assists on the offensive side of the ball. Justyne Lasher ‘20 had 14 kills, which put her at a team leading 153 at the time. Lasher also put up a double-double with 13 digs on defense. Sydney Stevens ‘20 said, “even though we didn’t win, overall we played well.” She registered 11 digs for the match.
Even though they were showing glimpses of brightness, the Cougars fought from behind for the entire third set of the match. W&J had a five-point run that put them up 8-3 early, and that’s the way it stayed. The Cougars didn’t pull within three points to W&J for the rest of the set. The Cougars went on to finish the set with a 25-13 loss, for a 0-3 match.
For the second game of the weekend they matched up against Thomas Moore (8-0 in the PAC). The Cougars lost the best of five match 3-0 dropping them to 1-8 in the PAC.
The Cougars started off hot in the first set with three points in a row. They took and held a lead for most of the set before the Thomas Moore Saints came back for a 17-16 lead. The Saints held on the rest of the way to eventually clutch a 25-21 victory over the Cougars.
Though the next two sets and ultimately the weekend, the cougars didn’t get far on the scoreboard but they left the weekend with a good feeling. “The weekend went well. We didn’t win but learned that we have what it takes to beat a good team. We have the skills and the players, we just need to put it all together as a team,” Stevens said
The second set saw clusters of points for each team early. The Saints went up quick 6-1, but Chatham came right back and tied it up at 7-7. The Cougars remained close until Thomas Moore pulled away for commanding a 19-11 lead. The set was theirs at that point as they took a 25-14 victory.
The next set saw the same story as both teams had their share of back and forth play until the Saints found themselves ahead at 13-10. The Cougars tried to rally back multiple times throughout the rest of the set, but they ended by taking a 25-18 loss. The cougars face their next five opponents on the road as they look to get back on track.