Students mark state of the Union ‘19 with watch party

By Abbey Sullivan

Chatham University is a hub for political involvement and discussion.

Fittingly, Students were given the opportunity to join Chatham University’s Pennsylvania Center for Women and Politics (PCWP) on Feb. 5 to watch President Donald Trump’s second State of the Union (SOTU) Address. The event was scheduled for 9 p.m. in the Carriage House.

The turnout amount to approximately twenty or so students, all of whom were treated to snacks, drinks and a game of SOTU bingo.

Bingo slots included potential happenings such as “Mike Pence Grimaces” and other funny musings about a potentially dramatic political spectacle.

Overall, most students seemed to feel uncomfortable about Trump’s remarks about his apparent headway in fighting AIDS and his fear mongering when it came to immigrants.

By comparison, NY Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s side of the aisle, dressed completely in white to rally for women’s rights and representation in the government, garnered ample support from the watch party’s attendance. She and VT Senator Bernie Sanders were among the most positively received attendees of the SOTU.

Clearly the tradition of fostering a civically active and literate environment is increasingly important to Chatham’s student body.

The PCWP holds several events, including the past midterm-election watch party back in November, that create uplifting friendly environments for students to become engrossed in the United States’ political climate at a very crucial time.