Dr. Rhonda Phillips attends Chatham University women’s hockey game

Bella White
The Chatham cougars face off Lebanon Valley Dutchwomen.

President Rhonda Phillips joined the Chatham University Women’s Hockey Team for their game against the Lebanon Valley Dutchwomen on Jan. 26 at the Hunt Armory Ice Arena. The game was heavily advertised to the student body as it was Dr. Phillips’ first-ever hockey game.

The game was well-attended with fans from other Chatham sports teams.

“I love being there with my team,” member of the women’s softball team Olivia Harris ‘27 said. “I love supporting women in sports because I feel like you know, I went to a [high] school that was very football male sport dominant. And it’s so refreshing to see that the President a) came to a women’s game and b) encouraged the student body to come.”

In an interview with the Communiqué, Dr. Phillips expressed her reason for choosing this specific team on this specific night.

“In August we had a get-together for first-year and other students. And I remember that several members of the women’s hockey team came up to me and said, ‘You got to promise that you’ll come to one of our games.’ I said, ‘I absolutely will.’ So then it turned out that hey, they’re playing now. I better get on this quick. And so I asked to see the schedule and said this looks like a perfect, perfect time to do it. Perfect time to come together and just celebrate Chatham and celebrate our players and our students.”

All those in attendance saw a good game. Despite losing 6 to 5 in the end, the Cougars stayed competitive, keeping the score within one or two goals for most of the game. They recovered from a 3-goal deficit in the first period with forward Liv McTavish ‘26 tying the score in the second period. 

“I think it was a good team effort. I mean, obviously not the outcome we wanted but we never gave up. I mean, we were down three goals at one point and we chipped away at it. And I think that says a lot about us as a team,” McTavish ‘26 said.

Allie Corser-James ‘24 also had a historic game, becoming the first person to score 100 points in a Chatham jersey. 

The women’s hockey team will be back at the Hunt Armory for their final homestand of the season Feb. 16-17 when they host Arcadia.