What being an arboretum means for Chatham

Sarah Naccarato
Blossoming tree on the Shadyside campus.

As the weather gets warmer, students are beginning to utilize the outdoor spaces made available on the Shadyside campus once again. Whether studying with the company of koi fish in the pond, enjoying the sun on picnic blankets and hammocks on the Quad or buying ice cream at Cafe Rachel, the enjoyable, vivid landscape is one of the benefits of enrollment in an accredited arboretum.

One of the most prominent ways that the University has strived to create a lush learning environment is through the creation of the Shadyside campus’s assortment of various trees.

As stated on the University website, the arboretum is “a best-kept secret in Pittsburgh.” With more than 115 different species of trees, the Shadyside campus is a proud part of the Pittsburgh Garden Trail, a collection of citywide gardens creating indoor and outdoor greenspaces across the city.

While it’s mostly common knowledge that Chatham’s Shadyside campus is a certified arboretum, what does this actually mean for our community?

The Shadyside campus being recognized as an arboretum essentially means that it serves as a botanical collection of various native and non-native tree and plant species. This collection serves as a way to manage horticultural diversity and conserve species identified for educational purposes. These plants also serve a more practical role, as well, with benefits such as additional oxygen production in a large cityscape.

On Chatham’s arboretum walking guide, which can be found on Chatham’s website, students can find each and every tree species on the Shadyside campus. As a member of the American Public Garden Association, Chatham joined the mission of serving and strengthening public gardens, while simultaneously creating a welcoming, natural campus for its members.

Update: This story originally ran in print April 16 and the Chatham Arboretum walking guide has since expired on the Chatham website. The Communiqué is actively working to investigate this issue.