CSG Brief: Jan. 25-Feb. 1

CSG Brief: Jan. 25-Feb. 1
Emily Brooks

Jan. 25

• Guest Speakers and Special Presentations:
    • Chatham Faculty United: Associate Professor of Gender Studies, Dr. Jessie Ramey, Associate Professor of Political Science, Dr. Jennie Sweet-Cushman and Associate Professor of History Dr. Lou Martin presented on behalf of Chatham Faculty United to CSG members ahead of the Chatham Faculty United card signing event held on Jan. 25. The professors spoke about their gratitude for CSG and student support for the University faculty’s unionization efforts. The professors cited the faculty’s recent cut in benefits and pay and the lack of transparency into Chatham’s finances as the primary motivation for the unionization efforts. However, Martin said that he would be in favor of unionizing even without the current financial crisis. The professors said that Chatham Faculty United hopes that as a union, the faculty will be able to take a more prominent role in the governance and decision making of the university. They said that a union contract would lead to greater transparency from the Board of Trustees, a formalized grievance process and binding shared governance. Dr. Sweet-Cushman said that their ultimate goal is to work collaboratively with the administration to make decisions with the best interest of both faculty and students in mind. The Chatham Faculty United Representatives then offered a time to answer any questions that CSG members might have. Class 2026 President Morgan Rapsky inquired about ways that students could show support. Dr. Sweet-Cushman replied that students interested in showing support can wear the Faculty United buttons, communicate support to the administration and discuss the unionization with their peers.
  • New Business
  • Submitted Items for Legislative Action:
      • CSG.Resolution-SP2024-01 — A Resolution Supporting Chatham Faculty United and urging the University to respect the rights of faculty members to engage in collective bargaining: Executive Vice President Aidan Bobik ‘24, Executive President Jackson Adkins ‘25, Class 2027 Representative Connor Domke, Class 2027 Vice President Olivia Harris, Vice President of Communications Jada Jenkins ‘26, Class 2027 President Dominic Randall, Class 2026 President Morgan Rapksy, Class 2024 Representative Melissa Redding, Vice President of Finance Gabrielle Slovikosky ‘26, Class 2025 Vice President Madison Smith, Class 2025 President Maggie Vargo and Class 2026 Secretary LJ Varley proposed a resolution to acknowledge that higher quality working conditions for faculty equates to higher quality education for students, express full support of the faculty unionization efforts and the larger movement that works to create true co-governance models that consider faculty, staff, and students in Chatham’s operation and urge the Administration to respect the rights of faculty members to engage in collective bargaining and work towards mutually beneficial agreements. The resolution went to a vote and was adopted.
      • CSG.Resolution-SP2024-02 — A Resolution Urging the University to Excuse Mental Health Days: Class 2026 President Morgan Rapsky, Vice President of Finance Gabrielle Slovikosky ‘26, Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion Madison Stokes ‘26, Class 2026 Secretary Jonah Schiffgens-Smith and Vice President of Communications Jada Jenkins ‘26 proposed a resolution to urge the University to recognize mental health days as excused absences to better support the emotional, psychological and social wellness of students, especially those struggling with mental health problems. Per the resolution, a copy of the resolution was sent to the President Rhonda Phillips, Vice President of Academic Affairs Lisa Lambert, the three academic deans, the Committee on Academic Policy, and the CSG Executive Board will discuss this issue with President Rhonda Phillips. The resolution was put to a vote and was adopted.
      • CSG.Proclamation-SP2024-01 — A Proclamation Recognizing the Asian Student Association: Class 2026 President Morgan Rapsky, Vice President of Finances Gabrielle Slovikosky ‘26 and Class 2026 Secretary Jonah Schiffgens-Smith proposed a proclamation to recognize the Asian Student Association for organizing ‘Chathampalooza,’ a talent show where 100% of the proceeds go toward humanitarian aid in Gaza, raising and donating $1,530 to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency through the event, increasing campus awareness of global issues and having consistently and effectively executing campus programming. CSG members adopted the proclamation.
  • Standing Committee Reports
    • Safety Committee: 2024 Class Representative Melissa Redding reported that there is a campus-wide signage project going into effect, starting at the intersection near Buhl Hall. Safety Committee is additionally looking into ways to improve the Chatham Alert system.

Feb. 1

• Presentation of Proclamations
    • Asian American Association: CSG presented members of the Asian Student Association with a proclamation recognizing their successful activism and engagement on campus during the fall semester. 
  • Executive Board Reports
  • Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion: Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion Madison Stokes ‘26 reported that she will be collaborating with the JXS Project. The JXS Project is a program that aims to enhance student well-being on campus, provide increased mental health support to students and decrease suicide and overdose related events.
    • Advisor: Dean of Students and Vice President of Student Affairs Chris Purcell provided an update on newly hired staff. 
      • As of Feb. 1, Associate Director of Student Success Simmone Bell was promoted to the position of assistant dean for student success and engagement. The search to find someone to fill her position will begin as soon as possible. 
      • As of Feb. 27, Natty Burfield will join Student Affairs as the assistant dean for residence life and student conduct. An alum of Chatham, they are coming to Chatham from Guilford College with experience in Residence Life, student engagement and gender and sexuality programs.
      • Associate Director of Residence Angela Delfine-Mechler will return from leave mid March.
      • Counseling Services will see the addition of three new hires. Toyaii Rutherford and Tiara Lucas will join the Counseling Center as a part of the JXS Project as the project coordinator and part-time JXS counselor respectively. Additionally, Crystal Kitchener-Linamen has joined Counseling and Health Services as the triage coordinator, replacing the administrative assistant position.
      • Dean Purcell reported that they are planning to hire an assistant dean for diversity, equity and inclusion and Title IX coordinator. This position will be moved from the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion back to the Office of Student Affairs.
  • Standing Committee Reports
    • Food Committee: Class 2027 Vice President Olivia Harris reported that Food Committee received feedback that students would like to see the snacks in Cafe Rachel changed. She said that she is planning on creating a poll to get student input on their snack preferences.
    • Safety Committee: Class 2024 Representative Melissa Redding reported that Safety Committee appointed Class 2026 Vice President Martha Deng as the new point of contact, because Redding ‘24 said that she can no longer attend the meeting time. 
  • Class Reports
    • Class of 2025: Class 2025 President Maggie Vargo reported that the class appointed Anna Betar ‘25 to fill the class representative position.

If students are interested in getting involved with CSG, they can attend an in-person meeting in the Conover Room in the Mellon Board Room on Thursdays from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Students can also visit the CSG website to learn more about the organization.