Cougars soccer team falls to La Roche 2-0

On September 24, the Chatham Cougars soccer team fell to the La Roche College Red Hawks 2-0.

This game came after two games that went into overtime. The Cougars brought the same amount of intensity to this game but were, unfortunately, unable to clinch the victory.

Both of the goals by the Red Hawks were scored in the first half by senior Alex Rogers. The first was in the sixth minute, and the second in the eighteenth on a penalty shot.

The Cougar defense successfully deflected any potential goals in the second half, keeping the score 2-0 through the end of the game.

Cougar goalkeeper, senior Liz Sawyer, logged eight saves on ten shots that reached the goal. Sawyer, prior to this game, was the ninth ranked goaltender in the nation for Division III saves.

Red Hawk goalie Destiny Davis logged her first shutout game of the season.

Chatham first year Megan Sieg nearly scored a corner kick directed to her by senior Sarah Ellis, but that shot was unfortunately deflected by Rogers.

The loss was a blow to Chatham’s record for this season so far, bringing it to 2-6. The win for La Roche brought their record up to 3-1-2.

Though the Cougars did fall to the Red Hawks, the defense showed great strength in the second half, making major pushes toward the La Roche end of the field.

With the continual hard work of the Chatham Cougars, fans can expect a great rest of the season.