Cougars basketball team drops close game against Thiel

Photo Credit: Kaylee LaPosta

Chatham Basketball took a tough loss in its home game against Thiel College on February 4. The game–which raised money and awareness for the V Foundation for Cancer Research and Play 4Kay initiative as part of the Kay Yow Cancer Fund, both of which support breast cancer research–was filled with excitement from start to finish.

The Cougars shone in the first half, leaving them up eight points at the half 33-25. Senior forward Emily Schmidt led her teammates in the first half, racking up eight points for the Cougars. She went on to score points in the second half, making her one of three Cougars that finished with double digit points by the game’s end.

Other highlights for Chatham throughout the game included junior guard Rachel McClain and sophomore guard Jessica Manfredi scoring 12 and 10 points, respectively. Sophomore forward Jesse Hinkle made eight rebounds, along with three assists and one steal to help out the Cougars. Schmidt also earned 10 rebounds, a team high from both her and Hinkle.

With only 53 seconds left in the game, Thiel tied Chatham 53-53. The Tomcats went on to score two more points from a Cougar foul with 14 seconds on the clock, giving Thiel the lead and the win at 55-53.

Chatham’s record drops to 5-15 for the season.