Chatham men’s basketball secures win over visiting Thiel

Mari Faust
Players from Chatham and Thiel play on Dec. 6.

In a tense 83-78 win over Thiel College on Wednesday, Dec. 6 at the Athletic Fitness Center [AFC], Chatham’s men ended up on top. With a season record of 6-3 and being 4-2 in the conference. The Cougars are one of the most successful teams in the conference. They proved their scoring ability by hitting 51.9% of their field goals, which is the highest percentage this year. 

Senior forward Luca Robinson had a fantastic game, grabbing seven rebounds and muscling up in the paint for 21 points, and going eight from 14 for the night. Forward Geoffrey Helm ’24 displayed his ability to get down to the paint and be aggressive by scoring 16 points. He even managed to hit two three-point shots. Guard Isaiah Smith ’25 was a major contributor with 15 points, while hitting three three-point shots from the line. He produced four rebounds and three assists.

The Cougars had two guards, Diaun Pinkett ‘26 and Simon Boyer ’24, both scoring double digits. With six rebounds and two steals, Pinkett not only produced on the floor but also hustled for rebounds. Guard Blaine Gartley ’25 produced nine points and five assists, which helped to facilitate the offense. Gartley showed tremendous effort in taking control of the game from the Thiel Tomcats.

About five minutes into the game, both teams had a quick pace, while also being physical in the paint. The team moved the ball in transition up and down the floor, which resulted in a 14-14 tie. The game was competitive and intense until the Cougars gained a substantial lead toward the end of the first half with a key 11-2 run. Thiel was having trouble scoring during the last few minutes in the first half and Chatham capitalized on the opportunity from Thiel being cold from the arc.

In the following play, Thiel went out fighting and hustled for every single loose ball and possession. They took the lead with 11 minutes and fifty seconds remaining on the clock. This is what sparked a comeback in the second half. The lead kept going back and forth between both teams, getting the audience out of their seats. Robinson took it upon himself to control the Cougar offense and score eight of the team’s 13 points. Not to mention when it came down to needing to score Helm, Robinson and Gartley all hit crucial free throws to secure the lead, making 19 of 28 shots. Because of their combined efforts, the Cougars were able to not only take back the lead but hold it for the entire game.

The game came down to who wanted it more and the Cougars displayed their grit and their ability to face adversity. The Cougars kept their win streak alive ending the game with a clear win. Executing their plays, the team was able to take control of the game. The Defense came down to the line, where they held Thiel to only 23.5% from the field, only allowing them to only score four points out of the 17 they took. Chatham also outrebounded Thiel, which led them to get a second opportunity to score. Looking ahead, the Men’s Basketball team is focused on extending their winning streak in their upcoming home game against Westminster College on at 2 p.m., Dec 9 at the AFC.

The Men’s Basketball team is in a good position going into the next games because of their ability to build on their strengths, overcome setbacks and adjust to different game situations. Their ability to bounce back from setbacks and navigate through the season’s cutthroat space will surely be a plus. In this game, the Cougars recovered from difficult periods and performed well as a unit. Displaying an aggressive offensive, this offers them a positive outlook for the difficulties the rest of the season will bring.