Foodie on the Half Shell: Everybody loves brunch

Photo Credit: Olivia Beals

Brunch is one word with so many different meanings. It is the epitome of meals, encompassing sandwiches, waffles, eggs, potatoes, scones, mimosas, and bloody marys. It is a meal that is full of so many possibilities, and without any boundaries.

I love to go out for brunch. It is an event and party in itself. With the autumn coming, and the cool wind invading my home, I have the desire to go shopping in little boutiques for pumpkin scented stuff and blankets. To top it off, I want a chai tea with some inventive version of brunch. My ideal brunch involves smoked salmon, cheeses, potatoes, pickles, and spicy stuff. Bagels and lox with a spicy bloody mary fit that picture.

Whenever my partner, Ben, has a morning off during the weekend, we sleep in and end up starving when we wake up. It is around noon when we head out, but we still want breakfast. Pamela’s down in the Strip is a go-to, but we wanted to try something different recently.

Coca Café in Lawrenceville is a tiny café that doesn’t look like much from outside, but once you are inside it is a colorful blast from the past. The mix-matched furniture creates a home style from the 60’s feel. It isn’t a huge café, but it is big enough to keep a crowd moving. On a Sunday around one in the afternoon, we waited for about fifteen minutes for a table.
Coca Café only has brunch on Sundays, and their menu changes weekly. I ordered their house tea smoked salmon omelet. Their eggs were cooked perfectly, and it was stuffed with goat cheese, dill, grape tomatoes and salmon. It came with crunchy home fries.

It was delicious, and tasted very fresh. Ben got their–wait for it–herb goat cheese stuffed French toast, dusted with powdered sugar and topped with strawberries. It was good without syrup, but it was incredible with the syrup. The savory and salty of the goat cheese with the sweetness of the powdered sugar and fruit went together like brunch heaven.

This spot is perfect for a morning out with your friends or loved one. It has a large scope of foods, and they even have vegetarian sausages, which are super tasty. It is also in a part of town that is really hopping with fun shops, salons, restaurants and cafés.

It will fulfill all of your hipster needs, such as kosher pickles, barbershops, vintage clothes, and BPA-free toys. Head down to Lawrenceville and enjoy the tastiness Coca Café has in store for you.