Chatham Black Student Union celebrates Black History Month

Infographic by Black Student Union

Jackie Clark

This February, Black Student Union (BSU) is hosting an array of events celebrating Black History Month. 

“Unlike previous years, Black Student Union wanted to…have a month full of events to celebrate diversity, Black history, art, leadership and beauty of our culture,” said BSU President, Ashanti Lopez ’24. 

“By bringing in Black-owned businesses such as Cobbler World, Social Living, To Self With Love, Royalty Fit and Arts and Crafts: Botanical and Occult Shop, to campus, it gives Chatham a chance to support Black leadership, excellence, and businesses in the Pittsburgh community,” Lopez said. 

Students can enter to win gift cards by scanning the QR code at each event, or they can take pictures participating in the events and tag @blackchatu on Instagram. 

Here are the events that students should be on the look-out for: 

Wednesday, Feb. 1: Food Truck w/ Dean’s Hour

During Dean’s Hour from 4 – 5 p.m., a Black-owned bakery, Cobbler World, will come to the Shadyside Campus and give out treats with vouchers at the Carriage House. 

Friday, Feb. 3: CAB + ODEI First Films Friday “The Woman King”

CAB is partnering with ODEI to show “The Woman King,” a movie about a fearsome group of female warriors that protects the African kingdom of Dahomey. It stars Viola Davis, John Boyega, Lashana Lynch, Thuso Mbedu and Hero Fiennes Tiffin. 

Monday, Feb. 6 – Friday, Feb. 10: Black pride spirit week

Over the course of the week, BSU members want to provide a chance for students to show unity and support for Black history and help Black students embrace their Black culture. 

Monday: Red, green and black day (representing unity, solidarity, appreciation, and love for our past, the present, and our future)

Tuesday: Black Excellence – Dress up as your future profession

Wednesday: Natural Hair Day – Wear your natural hair loud and proud

Thursday: Cultural background – Wear something that represents your culture and heritage.

Friday: Black Out Day- In remembrance of the lives lost to BLM movement, police brutality, and the fight for social equity.

Monday, Feb. 13: Black-owned business market w/ Marvelous Mondays

From noon- 2 p.m. in the Mellon Board Room, Black-owned businesses in Pittsburgh will be invited to campus to talk with students about their business and offer any products available. This provides students opportunities to support small companies, and Black students to build a stronger connection with their community. 

Tuesday, Feb. 14: Painting with a twist

At the Carriage House from 4-6 p.m., BSU will host not only a painting event but also board games, Mario Kart, and a taco bar. The painting will include diamond sets that showcase black love and beauty.

Wednesday, Feb. 15

Afro-American jazz quartet with Dean’s Hour: At the Carriage House from 4-6  p.m., a jazz quartet will play surprise songs. Coming from the Afro-American Music Institute in Pittsburgh, they will be educating and promoting gospel, blues and jazz. 

Friday, Feb. 17: BSU student body meeting at 1HoodMedia 

From 6-7:30  p.m., BSU will hold its second student body meeting at 1HoodMedia near the University of Pittsburgh. Food will be provided at the informational session such as Chipotle or Panera. 

Monday, Feb. 20: Black Student Union & Marvelous Monday scavenger hunt week

BSU is parenting up once again with Marvelous Monday to host a scavenger hunt event. Hidden items with riddles, facts and tasks relating to Black culture and history will be around the Shadyside Campus. Students will have a chance to win gift cards to some Black-owned businesses in Pittsburgh. 

Wednesday, Feb. 22

Pop-Up event: BSU x Parkhurst Collaboration: At the Carriage House from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., BSU will be working with Parkhurst to host a pop-up shop with fufu and Nigerian beef stew. Nigerian beef stew and fufu is a West and Central African food which was brought to the Asante people in Ghana by Portuguese traders. The staple food is typically eaten by one’s hand in a cultural and spiritual sense as it allowed the Asante people to connect with their ancestors.

Black History Month closing ceremony: From 8-10 p.m. at the Carriage House, BSU will hold one last event to celebrate Black History Month. Food and games will be provided to reminisce about the month’s fun events and celebrate Black culture. Additionally, raffle winners will be announced based on who participated in BSU’s month-long celebration of beauty, culture, and legacy.

Thursday, Feb. 23: Intersectionality leadership with Dr. Cheryl Hall-Russel

At the Carriage House from, noon to 1 p.m., BSU will host Dr. Cheryl Hall-Russell, the President and Lead Researcher for the Consulting Firm Black Women, Wise Women LLC for a lunch-and-learn dialogue. Dr. Hall-Russell will discuss whether workplaces are safe for marginalized identities and methods to promote inclusivity in the workplace. Food will be provided, and additional details will be finalized soon.